Thursday, February 05, 2009

Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey [off topic]

I was going to put this in an email, but I figured, what the heck. Maybe some whiskey connoisseur will find it.

I have gift cards from Christmas, and I keep going back to Tipsy's (the mega-liquor-store near my house) to attempt to get some Leopold's (whose flavored whiskeys are still awesome) but they never have it - Leopold's production is low and demand high. So I asked an employee if I could get a rain-check or something. He asked if I wanted Stranahan's explaining that some just came in but it's going fast. He directed me to the front desk where I asked for a little form to place a request and the next employee said, "for Stranahan's?" Then a customer came up with a bottle of Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey. The manager and customer started raving about it. I asked them what it compares to, and they couldn't tell me. The manager said, "it tastes like something that costs way, way more." I said, "it already costs $60." He just said, "I know" and then said you can't believe how good it is. The customer said he'd open it and let me try if he could.

So I figured what the heck, I got a gift card, I'll try some. They were right. I've never had 250 y/o whiskey, but I'd imagine it tastes something like this stuff. Toward the middle of my glass I swear there was no burn on the tongue whatsoever. And it doesn't compare with anything (the first sip tasted completely foreign). It just tastes... clean and fresh. It's amazing. Apparently, there's much more to making smooth whiskey than age.

IMO this stuff is like the next level. Nothing I've had is anything close to as good.

1 comment:

Brad said...

OK, well tastes change. There has been a bottle of Lagavulin 16yo sitting around my house since before I moved in nigh on 3 years ago. At first I hated it.
I've tried all the major good scotches and a few good whiskeys.
I'm now of the opinion that Lagavulin is the very best whisky by far. It's supposed to be comparable to Laphroaig, but I can't agree. Laphroaig is good, but there is nothing like Lagavulin.